December 01, 2020, 12:22:35 am

News:

Take a look at the new products we have listed in the shop !!

British Detectorist finds WWII dog tags

Started by gash, November 08, 2018, 12:31:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gash

( photo for illustration only )

Buried treasure found in the United Kingdom will soon make its way to the United States.

It's a story about the power of the internet, connecting a family with roots in Blair County to a man more than 4,000 miles away.

Malcolm Andrews has been metal detecting in England for more than four decades.

"There's one tray. It's all military buttons, bits and pieces. I've got trays and trays of Roman coins," Andrews said.

He runs a metal detecting club in Dorset where they hold charity metal detecting digs. Sunday, he was searching the perimeter of an old military base called Blandford Camp.

He found Victorian coins, a Hitler youth knife, and then he found a dog tag.

"I've never found an American dog tag. I've found British ones that have been mangled by the plow, but I've never ever found an American one," Andrews said.

"Elmer E Sheriff, 606 Main Street Bellwood PA," reads the dog tag.

"This Elmer chap must have been stationed there because they did a lot of -- before the D-Day landings, a lot of Americans camped at Blandford Camp," Andrews said.

He started to research through another metal detecting page on Facebook. Within minutes, he had Elmer's history, who he was married to, where he died and a picture of him.

Read more  :  https://wjactv.com/news/local/british-man-finds-wwii-dog-tags-belonging-to-blair-county-man
XP Deus 9" coil & 13x11 coil<br />XP Goldmaxx Power<br />Whites DFX<br />Garrett Ace250<br /> Nokta Simplex+