Metal detectorist unearths a stash of Saxon coins

Started by gash, September 25, 2019, 10:52:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gash

Metal detectorist unearths a stash of 99 immaculately preserved Anglo-Saxon coins worth up to £50,000 dating back to the reign of Ethelred the Unready 1,000 years ago

A metal detectorist in Suffolk has found a hoard of silver coins estimated to be worth £50,000.

Don Crawley, 50, had been wandering farmland with a metal detector in his home county when he came across 99 old coins including pennies and halfpennies.

They are thought to have been buried more than 1,000 years ago, in 999AD, and to date back to the reign of the Anglo-Saxon monarch, King Ethelred II.

One expert suggested they may have been buried by someone fearing a judgement day as the year turned to 1000AD.
After Mr Crawley discovered the coins officials from the local council inspected the area and found they appeared to be on the grounds of an old church.

Human bones were found there and the find revealed evidence of a previously unseen mint of coins.
Mr Crawley, a builder and father-of-three who's been an amateur detectorist for more than 30 years said: 'It was my first visit to this farmer's land in Suffolk.

'After walking up an incline in the field, my Deus detector gave off a strong signal and within a short space of time I had recovered over 93 coins.

'I was pretty chuffed when I found the coins to say the least. I was just beaming from ear to ear afterwards.'

Experts at the British Museum examined the coins after Mr Crawley dug them up, confirmed their authenticity and gave them back to him as 'finder's keepers'.

With the museum's permission to sell the coins, Mr Crawley got a price estimate from London auctioneers Dix Noonan Webb, who said they could be worth £50,000.

Read more :  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7494089/Metal-detectorist-unearths-stash-99-Anglo-Saxon-coins-worth-50-000.html
XP Deus 9" coil & 13x11 coil
XP Goldmaxx Power
Whites DFX
Garrett Ace250