April 20, 2024, 06:10:50 pm

News:

Take a look at the new products we have listed in the shop !!

Metal detectorist comes to rescue

Started by gash, May 04, 2017, 11:54:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gash

A METAL detectorist came to a friend's rescue when he managed to find her treasured wedding ring in her back garden.

Claire Bennett, of Whittle Avenue, Lower Compton, was distraught when she realised her wedding ring, which was a family heirloom, was missing from her hand after an afternoon of gardening. Distressed, the stay-at-home mum called in her close friend Jonathan Warne, of Chippenham, and his hi-tech machine.

"I was out in the garden digging and laying a path and when I came in to wash my hands, there was no ring on my hand and I completely freaked out," the 49-year-old said. "I spent hours pulling up all of the paving stones and then my husband Dave remembered we have a friend with a metal detector who could help."

Mr Warne, who is part of the Trowbridge and District Metal Detecting Club, came round and spent a day working through her spoil heap. Much to the Bennett's relief, the 45-year-old found the ring with some other small trinkets right at the bottom of the pile.

"I got a text from Claire asking me for help and I leapt to the challenge," Mr Warne said. "I was fairly confident I would find it because I have a very, very good machine and Claire explained that she had only gone down so far and that was in a range my machine could find.

"I had to go through it quite a bit even though it was a small area just so I could clear odd bits and pieces out. I was getting to the point where I cleared most of it away and I thought I wouldn't find it but there it was.

"It was the best feeling in the world and I could see how much it meant to Claire because I could see how much she was beating herself up over it. For me to put the ring back in her hand and say you don't need to worry about it anymore was wonderful."

The Bennetts, who have been friends with the avid detector for more than 15 years, rewarded the 45-year-old with copious amounts of tea and a cooked dinner.

Mrs Bennett added: "I am never wearing my wedding ring in the garden again. I am so relieved."

Story source :  http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/15259664.Metal_detectorist_comes_to_rescue_and_finds_lost_wedding_ring/?ref=rss#
XP Deus 9" coil & 13x11 coil
XP Goldmaxx Power
Whites DFX
Garrett Ace250
Nokta Simplex+